Cockroach Janta Party Ends Protests, Government Accepts All Demands
The Pakistan Times — Islamabad, July 25, 2026
Source: Al Jazeera
Cockroach Janta Party Ends Protests After Government Accepts All Demands
India's youth-led Cockroach Janta Party has formally called off its 37-day agitation at New Delhi's Jantar Mantar, declaring victory after the government agreed to its full list of demands following the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. The Pakistan Times breaks down how the protest concluded and what the movement secured.
Protests Called Off "In Good Faith"
Speaking at a news briefing in New Delhi, Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) spokesperson Ashutosh Ranka announced that all of the movement's demands had been accepted by the government, urging protesters to withdraw peacefully and return home. Fellow spokesperson Saurav Das said the group was withdrawing its agitation in good faith, with the understanding that the agreed terms would be implemented as promised. The breakthrough followed a third round of negotiations between CJP representatives and Union ministers JP Nadda and Jitendra Singh.
What the Government Agreed To
Beyond Pradhan's resignation over the NEET-UG paper leak controversy, the CJP had placed three additional demands before the government: compensation for the families of students who died by suicide after being told to retake leaked examinations, the withdrawal of legal cases filed against protesters involved in the July 20 march at Jantar Mantar, and no further punitive action against demonstrators going forward. According to CJP representatives, the government agreed to compensation of roughly 10 million rupees for affected families and confirmed that FIRs filed against protesters would be withdrawn.
The group also said it had presented the government with a separate five-point charter focused on broader reforms to India's examination and education systems, and that both sides had agreed to reconvene in about four weeks to continue discussions on those wider changes.
Scenes at Jantar Mantar
News of Pradhan's resignation and the subsequent end of the protest sparked celebrations among the thousands who had camped at the site for over a month, with demonstrators embracing one another and waving the Indian flag. The movement, which relied heavily on social media to organise and sustain momentum, had drawn support from students, corporate employees, and members of the public who said the minister's removal was necessary to restore accountability in India's education system.
A Rare Concession
The episode is being viewed as a significant political moment, marking one of the first major concessions Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government has made to a sustained protest movement during his current term. Some opposition figures had earlier speculated that the government might attempt to shift Pradhan to a different ministry rather than accept his resignation outright, a suggestion that was reportedly rejected before his eventual departure. The government, through some political commentary, also raised concerns about political groups seeking to take advantage of the student-led movement.
What Comes Next
With the immediate demands resolved, attention will now turn to the follow-up talks expected in roughly a month, when the CJP and government officials are set to discuss the movement's broader reform charter covering changes to India's exam and education systems. Whether that next round of discussions delivers lasting structural reform will determine how much of a legacy this protest movement leaves behind. The Pakistan Times will continue to track developments as talks progress.
Read more: >>> India's Education Minister Resigns After 'Cockroach' Protests
© The Pakistan Times. All rights reserved.

Comments
Post a Comment
We welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please keep your comments respectful, relevant, and constructive. Spam, abusive, or promotional comments will not be approved.