Iran's Government Clashes With State TV Over US Talks Censorship
Iran's Government Clashes With State TV Over Censored Remarks on US Talks
A public rift has opened between Iran's government and its state broadcaster over how to portray the country's fragile state of war and diplomacy with the United States, just as international mediators work to push both sides back toward the negotiating table. The Pakistan Times examines what triggered the dispute and what it reveals about deep divisions inside Iran's leadership.
What Was Cut From the Broadcast
Iran's Government Information Council accused state broadcaster IRIB, whose director is appointed by the supreme leader, of "censorship" after portions of a speech by President Masoud Pezeshkian were left out of its television coverage earlier in the week. Speaking at a gathering of industrial and business leaders, Pezeshkian had explained how Iran's leadership arrived at the decision to resume talks with Washington, revealing that after last year's twelve-day war with Israel, the late supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had publicly ruled out negotiations with the United States while privately authorising them.
According to the president's account, senior officials went to Khamenei directly, laid out the country's circumstances, and reminded him of his own warning that a prolonged state of "neither war nor peace" was unsustainable for the country. Pezeshkian said Khamenei then instructed them to proceed with negotiations, which is how the talks began. IRIB's broadcast of the speech omitted this section.
IRIB's Response
The broadcaster rejected the government's accusations on Saturday, calling them "improper attributions" and insisting it had a duty to prevent what it described as an incorrect impression of division within the pillars of the country's leadership. The Government Information Council pushed back further, listing additional examples it said supported its case: an interview with Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf that aired only partially before later being shown in full, remarks by the judiciary chief in support of the president that were cut, and interviews Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi gave to foreign media during the recent fighting that the council said were never broadcast domestically at all. Araghchi separately said he had defended Iran's position forcefully in wartime interviews with US networks, only to see state television air just one or two subtitled lines from the exchanges.
A Long-Running Feud
This is not the first flashpoint between Pezeshkian's administration and IRIB. Reformist and pragmatic politicians have for years accused the broadcaster of favouring hardline political factions and shaping coverage to undercut the elected government, an accusation IRIB has consistently denied, maintaining that its editorial choices follow professional standards. Earlier in July, Pezeshkian had already taken aim at the broadcaster, saying it aired only the portions of remarks from Iran's new supreme leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, that opposed talks, while leaving out the parts in which he emphasised, in private meetings, the need to end the "neither war nor peace" standoff.
The clash comes despite a call for unity issued days earlier by Mojtaba Khamenei, who took over as supreme leader roughly ten days after Ali Khamenei's death in a US-Israeli strike on February 28. A member of parliament overseeing IRIB said broadcaster officials had been formally warned to present a range of viewpoints and act as a symbol of national unity rather than division.
Why the Dispute Matters
Commentators inside Iran have framed the standoff as reflecting a deeper institutional problem rather than a simple editorial disagreement. One reformist activist described the situation as effectively two governments operating in parallel: an elected one, and a separate one embodied by IRIB working against it. A conservative journalist, meanwhile, characterised the broadcaster as now being at its most expensive and least effective point. The dispute unfolds against the backdrop of collapsed talks between Iran and the United States, which broke down after attacks on vessels in the Strait of Hormuz triggered renewed American military action, leaving the fate of any further negotiations uncertain.
What Comes Next
With mediators still pressing both Tehran and Washington to return to diplomacy, the government-IRIB rift highlights how contested the path to negotiations remains even within Iran's own institutions. How this internal power struggle resolves may shape not just domestic politics but Iran's ability to present a unified position at the table with the United States. The Pakistan Times will continue to monitor developments in this story.
Read more:»»» 🔴 How Volker Türk Won a Second Term as UN Human Rights Chief
Source: Al Jazeera
© The Pakistan Times. All rights reserved.

Comments
Post a Comment
We welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please keep your comments respectful, relevant, and constructive. Spam, abusive, or promotional comments will not be approved.