Iran Will Halt Attacks as Long as US Maintains Pause, Official Says
The Pakistan Times — Islamabad, July 26, 2026
Iran Will Halt Attacks as Long as US Maintains Pause, Says Senior Iranian Official
Iran has signalled it will continue to hold back on retaliatory strikes for as long as the United States keeps its own bombing campaign paused, a senior Iranian official told Reuters, a day after President Donald Trump abruptly called off a two-week air campaign against the country. The Pakistan Times looks at what triggered the pause, how both sides are framing it, and how far diplomatic efforts have progressed.
What Changed
After thirteen consecutive nights of intensifying US air strikes on Iran, the Pentagon suspended the campaign late on Friday, with no American attacks reported on either Saturday or Sunday. Iran's army spokesperson confirmed to state television that Tehran had likewise halted its retaliatory attacks over the same two-day period. According to the Iranian source who spoke to Reuters, Tehran's position remains one of "attack for attack": if US strikes stop, Iran's operations stop as well, a message the official said had already been conveyed directly to Washington.
Despite the pause, the same source described Iran's outlook as one of scepticism rather than optimism, saying the prevailing view within the country's leadership is that the halt is more likely tactical than a genuine shift toward ending the conflict.
Washington's Position
US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz told Fox News on Sunday that Trump was giving diplomatic talks "some space" and "a little bit of room," while pushing back on suggestions that the US military lacked the firepower needed to sustain operations in the Middle East. White House communications director Steven Cheung reiterated that Trump has consistently preferred a diplomatic resolution but continues to retain the option of further strikes should Iran resume what Washington describes as threatening activity in the Strait of Hormuz or against regional allies.
The Pentagon has not publicly explained the exact reasoning behind the pause, which came after weeks of American strikes on Iranian coastal areas and energy infrastructure, action that was originally triggered by Iranian strikes on vessels attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz.
Diplomatic Track Moving Forward
Alongside the military pause, diplomatic engagement has continued. An Omani delegation spent two days in Tehran holding talks with Iranian officials, making progress on mechanisms intended to ensure safe shipping through the Strait of Hormuz even as maritime traffic patterns remained largely unchanged, according to Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei. A regional official involved in mediation efforts described the mutual pause as a "positive signal" that supports ongoing de-escalation efforts, adding that both countries want to return to the negotiating table.
The broader context is a 60-day interim agreement signed by the US and Iran in mid-June, which has largely been undermined by repeated exchanges of fire since then. That window is now well into its second half, with core disputes, most notably Iran's nuclear programme, still unresolved as mediators work to keep both sides engaged.
Recent Escalation
The pause follows a punishing stretch of hostilities in which Iran counterattacked US-linked targets across the region, including a strike that killed at least three people at a base in Jordan. The conflict, which began roughly five months ago when Israel and the United States launched strikes aimed at Iran's nuclear programme, is set to reach its five-month mark this coming Tuesday, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's planned visit to Washington next week adding a further layer of uncertainty to how the pause might hold.
What Comes Next
With both sides publicly committed to a fragile, mutual halt in strikes but privately doubtful of the other's intentions, the coming days are likely to serve as an early test of whether diplomacy can convert this pause into something more durable, or whether the region is simply catching its breath before another round of escalation. The Pakistan Times will continue to follow developments as this situation unfolds.
ReadMore: >>>Drone Downed Near US Consulate Erbil, Houthis Hit Aramco Sites
Source: Reuters
© The Pakistan Times. All rights reserved.

Comments
Post a Comment
We welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please keep your comments respectful, relevant, and constructive. Spam, abusive, or promotional comments will not be approved.