Survivors of the Iran drone strike in Kuwait accuse senior US generals of ignoring warnings and abandoning wounded troops. Full details and Pentagon response.

 Iran Drone Strike in Kuwait: Survivors Accuse US Generals of Major Failures

The Pakistan Times Live | Islamabad Times 

Survivors of the Iran drone strike in Kuwait  one of the deadliest attacks on American troops since the 2026 Iran war began have come forward with a damning account of that day. In new testimony describing the Iran drone strike in Kuwait, soldiers accuse senior military leadership of ignoring repeated warnings and abandoning wounded troops in the chaotic aftermath. The Pakistan Times Live examines what happened during the attack, what soldiers say went wrong, and how the Pentagon has responded.

What Happened on March 1

Just a day into the US-Israeli military campaign against Iran, an Iranian drone struck a makeshift operations center at Port Shuaiba, a facility along Kuwait's southern coast, killing six American service members and wounding more than 30 others in what became the deadliest single attack on US troops during the conflict. Survivors described a scene of chaos: the blast hurled soldiers into walls and sparked a fire inside the cramped structure, built from little more than tin and wood and roughly the width of three trailers.

According to accounts given separately to The Washington Post and CBS News, the unit  part of the Army's 103rd Expeditionary Sustainment Command  had been relocated to Port Shuaiba in February even as other American forces in Kuwait were being moved further away from Iranian missile range, toward Jordan and Saudi Arabia. Soldiers said they had seen intelligence identifying their new position as a likely Iranian target, and that the site's protective barriers, while adequate against mortars and rockets, offered no real defense against an aerial drone strike.

Generals Accused of Fleeing

Perhaps the most serious allegation to emerge involves the conduct of senior officers in the moments after the blast. According to soldiers who spoke to the Post, a brigadier general who had been inside the operations center got up, grabbed his protective gear, and headed for an emergency bunker along with another officer, while dozens of troops remained inside the burning building. One soldier ordered to accompany the general later said he had tried to go back and help the wounded but was told to stay in the bunker. Survivors also said that once they reached the muster point, they were left to drive themselves to a hospital in Kuwait City in unit vehicles, without any organized medical evacuation  and that seriously wounded soldiers waited several days before being flown out for more advanced treatment, with some soldiers boarding transport flights still carrying shrapnel wounds and broken bones, and without having been screened for brain injuries.

A Dispute Over the Official Narrative

The soldiers' accounts directly contradict the Pentagon's public description of the incident. US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had characterized the attack as a "squirter" implying a single drone had narrowly slipped past otherwise solid defenses. Soldiers who spoke to CBS News rejected that framing outright, with one injured service member insisting the description was inaccurate and stressing that the unit had effectively no real air-defense protection at its position. A written complaint filed with the Army's Inspector General, seen by CBS News, alleged that unit leadership had dismissed intelligence briefings warning of the danger and had reacted harshly toward soldiers who questioned the decision to deploy to Port Shuaiba in the first place.

Congressional and Institutional Response

The allegations prompted a group of Democratic lawmakers, including Congressman Pat Ryan, an Iraq War veteran, to formally demand an investigation into what they described as force-protection failures, questioning why appropriate overhead defenses were not in place and whether the threat had been properly assessed beforehand. Senate Democrats separately opened their own inquiry after soldiers' accounts became public.

The Army did carry out an internal review of the incident and later briefed the victims' families privately, though it has not released detailed findings publicly. According to reporting, that internal review did not assign individual responsibility for the failures described by survivors, and the Pentagon has not recommended disciplinary action against any officer involved. Families of the fallen soldiers have expressed sharp disappointment with how the military has handled accountability for the incident.

Analysis: A Familiar Pattern in Wartime Accountability

What makes this case notable is not just the human toll, but the widening gap between the accounts of those who were there and the official version presented by senior defense officials  a pattern that has surfaced in past American military controversies, including comparisons some commentators have drawn to the 2012 Benghazi attack, which prompted years of congressional scrutiny over base security failures. Whether the Kuwait incident receives a similarly sustained level of institutional accountability remains an open question, and one that will likely depend heavily on political will in Washington rather than on the strength of the survivors' testimony alone.

For the soldiers directly affected, the dispute is not really about assigning blame in the abstract  it is about whether an internal review process that found no individual at fault can be reconciled with detailed, consistent, on-the-record accounts from multiple survivors describing specific, avoidable failures: a relocation to a known target zone, inadequate overhead protection, and a chaotic, self-organized medical evacuation in the attack's aftermath.

Conclusion

More than four months after the strike, the gap between what survivors say happened at Port Shuaiba and what the Pentagon has publicly acknowledged remains unresolved, leaving grieving families and a group of lawmakers still pressing for answers. The Pakistan Times Live will continue to follow developments in this case as further details emerge.

2026 The Pakistan Times Live. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Sea Drones Used Against Iran: How They Work and Why It Matters

World's Poorest Countries 2026: The Bottom Five by GDP Per Capita

How Volker Türk Won a Second Term as UN Human Rights Chief