Houthis Threaten Saudi Airports After Claiming Airspace Violation Over Iranian Funeral Flight
Houthis Threaten Saudi Airports
The Pakistan Times Live | Islamabad Times Islamabad, July 3, 2026
A new flashpoint has emerged in the already volatile Middle East as Yemen's Houthi movement has issued a direct and specific threat against Saudi Arabia's airports and vital infrastructure, accusing the kingdom of sending warplanes to intercept an Iranian civilian aircraft attempting to land at Sanaa International Airport on Friday morning. The incident, which occurred against the backdrop of Iran's dayslong state funeral for slain Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, underlines how dangerously interconnected the region's multiple conflicts have become, and how quickly a single incident can escalate into a broader confrontation.
According to Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree, who delivered his warning in a video statement on Friday, a formation of Saudi warplanes entered Houthi-controlled airspace at five-twenty in the morning local time in an attempt to prevent an Iranian civilian aircraft from completing its approach to Sanaa airport. The plane, Saree said, was carrying more than two hundred people described as stranded civilians, the wounded, and the sick. It was also transporting a Houthi delegation travelling to Tehran to attend Khamenei's funeral. Saree said the Houthis successfully repelled the Saudi aircraft and that the Iranian plane ultimately landed safely and subsequently departed for Tehran with the delegation on board. The Saudi government did not immediately issue any statement acknowledging or denying the incident.
Saree's threat following the confrontation was direct and unambiguous. He warned the Saudi government against any repetition of what he described as a violation of Yemeni airspace, stating that any such action or aggression would be met with a comprehensive response targeting Saudi airports and vital interests both on land and at sea. He added that flights between Sanaa and Tehran would continue regardless of any potential consequences, a statement that simultaneously projected defiance and signaled the political importance the Houthis attach to maintaining their connection with Iran at this particular moment.
The timing of this incident is important and cannot be separated from the broader regional context in which it occurred. Iran is currently preparing what officials have described as one of the largest state funerals in the country's history, with between fifteen and twenty million mourners expected to attend the ceremonies for Khamenei, who was killed in US and Israeli strikes earlier this year. For the Houthis, who have consistently presented themselves as part of Iran's regional resistance axis alongside Hezbollah and other groups, sending a delegation to Khamenei's funeral carries deep symbolic and political significance. Any interference with that delegation's travel would have been viewed not merely as a security issue but as a deliberate political provocation.
Saudi Arabia's calculations in this situation are complex. The kingdom has been engaged in a long-running and devastating war in Yemen since 2015, a conflict that has produced one of the world's worst humanitarian crises while failing to dislodge the Houthis from control of the capital and much of the north. The relationship between Riyadh and the Houthis has shifted repeatedly over the years, passing through periods of intense confrontation, uneasy ceasefire, and indirect diplomatic engagement. The 2023 Saudi-Iranian agreement, brokered by China, had opened a new chapter in Saudi-Houthi relations, but the outbreak of the Iran conflict earlier this year has dramatically complicated those dynamics, forcing Saudi Arabia to navigate between its traditional alignment with the United States and Israel on one hand and its desire to avoid a new escalation on its southern border on the other.
Whether the Houthis' account of Friday's incident is entirely accurate is impossible to verify independently given the information environment in Yemen. The Houthis have consistently framed events in ways that serve their political narrative, and their claim that Saudi warplanes specifically attempted to block a civilian aircraft is a serious accusation that would, if true, represent a significant escalation in behavior. Saudi Arabia's silence on the matter makes it impossible to assess the kingdom's perspective. What is clear is that the incident, whatever its precise details, has produced a public confrontation at a moment when the region can least afford additional sources of tension.
The Houthis have demonstrated throughout the recent Iran conflict that they retain both the will and the capability to strike targets at significant distances from Yemen, including commercial shipping in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden and targets on the Arabian Peninsula itself. Their threat against Saudi airports is therefore not merely rhetorical. Saudi Arabia has experienced this reality before, having faced nearly one thousand missile and drone attacks from Houthi positions between 2015 and 2022, including strikes that hit civilian airports in the kingdom's southwest.
For now, the immediate crisis appears to have been managed, with the Iranian aircraft completing its mission without further incident. But the exchange of accusations and threats on Friday is a reminder that the Yemeni conflict, despite periods of apparent de-escalation, remains a live and dangerous source of instability in a region that is already managing multiple simultaneous crises simultaneously.
The Pakistan Times will continue monitoring developments from Yemen and the wider Middle East as this situation evolves.
READ MORE:
2026 The Pakistan Times Live. All rights reserved.

Comments
Post a Comment
We welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please keep your comments respectful, relevant, and constructive. Spam, abusive, or promotional comments will not be approved.