Araghchi Calls US Pressure Campaign 'Economic Terrorism'
Iran's Araghchi Calls US Economic Pressure 'Economic Terrorism,' Says It's a Distraction From America's Own Debt Crisis
The Pakistan Times — Islamabad, August 21, 2026
Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi hit back hard on Thursday after Trump announced what he's calling an Economic D-Day against Tehran, dismissing the whole campaign as a diversion from America's own mounting debt and rising interest costs rather than a serious response to anything Iran is actually doing.
Trump had made the announcement a day earlier on Truth Social, describing it as the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country and promising economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale. He said the measures would target Iran's oil smuggling networks, financial transfers, exchange houses, and ship registries all at once, and warned that any country letting its banks, businesses, or airports offer Iran even a small lifeline would face serious economic consequences of its own.
Araghchi wasn't shy about pushing back. Posting on X, he called the whole thing a distraction from America's own crisis of unprecedented debt and surging interest costs, adding that doubling down on failed policies would only bring further defeat and deepen Iranian resentment toward Washington. He went further, describing the pressure campaign outright as economic terrorism that threatens the global economy and the sovereignty of nations everywhere, not just Iran's.
This isn't new territory for Iranian officials either. Calling US sanctions economic terrorism has basically become a standard line out of Tehran going back years, used by Rouhani-era officials just as readily as it's being used now. What's different this time is the timing and scale. This latest push comes after months of a shooting war that began in February, with US-Israeli strikes triggering Iranian retaliation across the region, and after negotiations between Washington and Tehran broke down without a deal. Trump's own history with maximum pressure adds another layer here too, since this is largely a return to the sanctions approach he first pursued during his earlier term in office, reinstated once he was back in the White House last year.
The bigger picture is genuinely rough for Iran's economy right now regardless of how this latest round plays out. Inflation has been running above 40 percent for over a year, with estimates suggesting somewhere between a fifth and half of the population is living below the poverty line, and separate reporting this week quoted Iranian officials warning that fully repairing war damage alone could take more than a decade. Whether Araghchi's economic terrorism framing holds up as effective messaging domestically is one question, but the reality of an economy already strained before this new pressure campaign even started is a much harder thing to spin away.
Read More:
Iran's Government Clashes With State TV Over US Talks Censorship
Sources:Reuters,

Comments
Post a Comment
We welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please keep your comments respectful, relevant, and constructive. Spam, abusive, or promotional comments will not be approved.